“2 + 2 is 4 minus 1 that’s 3. Quick maths.”
Congratulations to Sage class with this week’s sharing assembly.
In maths, the children have been finishing extending their knowledge of the 4 operations. This week has been focused on division (4 digit numbers divided by 1 and sometimes 2 digit numbers). As usual, the week began with ensuring understanding and developing fluency before transitioning to those favourite missing digits and multi-step problems.
Author Gary Crew (The Water Tower) is back but this time with another suspense filled picture book, The Viewer. Year 5 have been learning the story and different techniques to build suspense in their writing. Next week, the children will use those skills to write various versions of ‘The Viewer’.
There is no maths homework this week. Last week’s world cup homework continues. The children should aim to complete at least one task each week.
Across this week, the children have been completing reading comprehensions in small groups. On Monday and Tuesday next week, Year 5 will complete two maths assessment papers. These newly created diagnostic papers (created by the Herts maths team) will examine the children’s understanding of place value, number and the 4 operations. Each question has multiple choice answers to select. Please reassure your child during this time.
About Mr Bushell
Dates for your Diary
- 17 Jul 2018 - Sports Day
- 19 Jul 2018 - Reserve Sports Day
- 24 Jul 2018 - End of Term 1:30pm
- https://t.co/nJxF9jPiR3 1 year ago
- Welcome back and a big welcome to new children starting today. We hope you enjoy your new playground!... https://t.co/Usqt54ptWF 2 years ago
- We're delighted to announce that we are Primary School of the Year 2016 in the Herts Advertiser School awards! 2 years ago
- We are delighted to announce that the school has been granted planning permission to extend the outdoor play area... https://t.co/qdxFXn8T86 2 years ago
- Our Christmas Fair promises to be bigger and better this year. Today 12-2.30 https://t.co/d148NSs0Nf 3 years ago