Return to Wellbeing

Mental Health Support

Children can’t learn unless they are feeling safe and secure.

At Alban City School we understand the importance of a child’s sense of wellbeing on their ability to learn, interact with others and make the most of the opportunities presented to them.  Naturally, there will be times in a child’s life where circumstances might compromise their wellbeing.  Sadly, some of these events can have a huge and long-lasting impact on a child’s life.  Here is what we are able to offer to support the range of wellbeing needs.

Universal (available to everyone)

Soft Start

Children come in and choose fun educational activities to do.  This gives Teachers and Teaching Assistants chance to check in with the children and deal with any immediate problems or worries.

Class Teachers/TAs

If a child has a particular worry or problem, Teachers or Teaching Assistants will always make time to talk to them.

School dog

Lani will be available for visits where children might benefit from some interaction with our school dog.

Miss Lord

Our School SENCO and Mental Health Lead is able to talk to children and explore their worries with them.  She can then signpost them or their families to further support if it is needed.


Our local partnership offers training for parents for a range of issues including wellbeing.  Please visit

Personal, Social, Emotional Development Curriculum

All year groups have regular age-appropriate lessons to teach the skills and knowledge required for their personal, social and emotional development.

5 Ways to Wellbeing

Children will be taught the 5 key things they can include in their lives to promote positive mental health and wellbeing and protect them against poor mental health when faced with challenges.

Level 1: (For children who need a bit extra)

Learning Mentor

We have Mrs Smith, our Learning Mentor who is able to offer regular sessions with children who are facing additional challenges.  Mrs Smith has completed the Mental Health First Aid training and is trained to deliver the Drawing and Talking intervention.  She can also put together programmes to support with specific issues.  This might be due to illness, family break ups, low-level general anxiety, school work worries or friendship issues.

Family Support Worker

We buy in the services of a Family Support Worker who is able to see 2 children per week for approximately half a term.  She is able to help children talk through their worries and develop skills to help them cope.


Children can call 0800 1111 if they feel the need to talk to a counsellor.

Level 2: (For children who need more targeted support)

Family Support Worker

We buy in the services of a more specialised Family Support Worker who is able to provide support to children and families.  This might include work on keeping safe, managing emotions, supporting with challenging behaviours, dealing with sensitive issues.

Families First

Where the family feel they need more support and potentially help from more than one organisation, we can arrange a Families First Assessment.  Regular meetings then take place to ensure the support is helpful.


The school are able to refer to NESSie, a provider of art therapy and counselling, where it is felt that children need support from those with more specialist skills.

Other providers of art/play therapy/counselling

Where we feel a child may benefit, we may be able to fund some sessions of art or play therapy.  This tends to be in response to a specific event or circumstance such as the loss of a parent and is at the school’s discretion.

School Nurse

Parents and schools are able to refer to the School Nursing Service for support for children’s emotional wellbeing.  The school nurse is able to visit children in school to deliver support.

Level 3: (The highest level of support)

For a small number of children it is necessary to work with organisations including:

Children’s Services

Where a child’s physical and/or mental wellbeing are at serious risk we may involve Children’s Services.  Where appropriate, we do this in collaboration with parents or carers.

CAMHS (Child & Adolescent Mental Health Services)

Where specialist professional mental health services are required, we can refer to CAMHS.

Intensive Families Team

Where families have multiple and complex needs that require an intensive level of support.


Where children and families require intensive support due to developmental trauma, risk of placement breakdown and when other sources of help have been exhausted.


A small number of children require specialist therapy to help them process difficult or traumatic life events.

Virtual School

For Children who are looked after i.e. Foster Care


If a child presents with behaviours that present an immediate risk of harm.